And as we continue to ride on the Wave 2 October release features of the D365 for Sales, here’s a much anticipated feature Salespeople have been asking for. The ability to send Quotes as PDF (derived from Word Templates) right from the Quote itself.
At the time of this blog, I had enabled the Wave 2 Updates on the trial instance. Kindly try the same in your Sandbox instance first.
If you’re looking to enable Wave 2 Features for your organization, check this post – Early Opt-in for October 2019 Wave 2 Updates.It is recommended you try these features on the Sandbox first.
Enable PDF Generation
As a part of the Wave 2 feature, you’ll need to enable this in the App Settings in the Sales Hub (typically).
- Navigate to App Settings
- In App Settings, look for PDF Generation area as shown below, You’ll notice that the feature might be turned off.
- You’ll simply need to turn it on and then Apply the changes.
- That’s it. You’re all set to use it. You’ll now see the 2 new buttons to Create PDF or Email as PDF.
When this feature isn’t enabled, you won’t see the buttons –
Generate PDFs only
- Now, as the name suggests, if you chose to only Create a PDF out of the Word Templates you already have in place, simply drop down the menu and select the template you wish to get the PDF of.
- And the browser will throw a file in your system like any other download.
Send Directly in Emails from Quote entity
- Typically, once things look good, you want to just send out the PDF as an attachment in an email from Dynamics. This button will let you do just that –
As you observe, this also works with your personal Word Templates too.
- Once you click on the Template, an email is ready for you to start writing and send when ready with the template attached as PDF already.
There are also some smart emailing capabilities that let’s you send email right from the context of the record. Check this post of mine for the same: Contextual Email communication in D365 CE Wave 2
Hope this helps!