Sidebar is a component in Learning Path where you can design a Sidebar that appears like a tray popping from the right side of the screen. You can have quick help items in it so that new users to D365 can use it to get help on the most frequently requested items in your Organization.
Before you begin, you can check my post i.e. Part 1 post of this series on setting up Learning Path in D365 – Use Learning Path for your D365 v9.x Organization – Part 1 | Setup
Also, check out Guided Tasks in this blog post – Use Learning Path for your D365 v9.x Organization – Part 3 | Guided Tasks
In my last, I setup Learning Path in D365 Org, let’s take a look at designing one of the aspects of Learning Path i.e. Sidebar
Creating a Sidebar in Learning Path
- Assuming you have gone through the setup of Learning Path and you are now navigated in your Org to Training > Content Library. Content Library is open and you need to select Sidebar
- On opening the same, you’ll be asked to set preferences of what should the details of the Sidebar be
- On clicking Save, a designer pane will open on the right hand side of the Page like so
Designing your Sidebar
Now, let’s put a few items on the Sidebar and publish it to see how it looks
- I’ve given a suitable Title to my sidebar, I’ll call it CFT117 Helpdesk for now. Then, when I want to first item, I’ll click on Section #1 below that and a Pencil and Delete icon will appear. I will select the Pencil Icon to start editing my first section
- On clicking the Pencil, a menu to show what all I can add appears, for example, I select List of Links (I will just give link to a website here)
- Once I select List of Links, editor to add Links will appear. I’ve given a title to it called as Visit Company Website and I’ll select + Add Link as shown below
- After clicking on Add Link as in #3 above, I get options to specify what the link will do. For example, I’ll select Webpage since I want to redirect to the company website
- After I click Next, the first Link will be set and will appear like this.
- Next, I’ll select to add a Video (you can select what you want to show in subsequent sections as mentioned in step #2 above).
So, I’ve given a title ‘Using PSA’ and entered the URL of the video I wanted to show. Finally, my section will look like this
- After everything is done, I’ll click on Save
- Next, on the button left, you can select Preview.
- Once someone clicks help, this is how the pane will look. Finally, if you’ve decided to publish it, you can click on Publish button on the bottom left
- And you can select which all Orgs you want to publish this Sidebar to –
- On confirmation, it will tell you that the content has been published successfully.
Now, our Sidebar is ready. And once the user clicks on the Help Icon on the top right as shown below –
They’ll see the Sidebar as you designed
Excuse me for the unusually lengthy post. Hope this helps! Learning Path – Part 3 – Guided Tasks has been published too – Use Learning Path for your D365 v9.x Organization – Part 3 | Guided Tasks!