This is a little tricky upgrade from PSA v2 to PSA v3. I’m sure by this time of the year, most of you must have upgraded and this post by me comes a little late than it should.
Here’s my experience and what help from Microsoft Support I needed to complete the Upgrade successfully.
So usually, this is what you expect when you initiate the upgrade process. You go to the Instance Picker from Dynamics 365 Admin Center.
And you can see that you are on PSA v2.4.x version and the New version available is 3.10.x. When you kick off, it starts running
But, it fails like this.
Let’s take a stab at it!
I usually prefer to go with the old school classic Instance Picker, if you want to have a quick access to it, check this post – D365 Admin Center: Instance Picker Link
Solution Health Hub
Note: Please be aware that below mentioned steps that involve Project Service & Project Service Upgrade Rule Set can only be provisioned by Microsoft Support and we need to create a Support Request with Microsoft for them to provide this Rule Set. These comes in a Managed Solution Microsoft Support installs from their end into your environment.
- Assuming Microsoft Support has enabled this Rule Set for your organization, you can go to Solution Health Hub
- Then, select either Project Service or Project Service Upgrade
- It will automatically run asynchronously as and when you create it. It should display results in a few moments.
In this case, my failures were that Resource Requirement records didn’t have Hours & Resources were not filled in. Some Project Tasks didn’t have Project attached to them which resulted in corrupted PSA data according to the Rule Set and hence, the upgrade fails.
- Now, in my case, I cleaned this data manually. Post that, I created another Analysis Job to ensure that there are no more failures.
Also, there’s another Rule that isn’t mentioned here but is a reason for failure. That is – Project Name (msdyn_Subject) should NOT be Blank. Use Advanced Find to find these records and correct manually. Please ensure this manually as it won’t appear here.
- Now, there’s a workflow called as Update User Work History. It should have shown 3.3 or higher in the version to select, unfortunately, this will come once the upgrade fails 1 time.
- Now, you are all set to kick off Upgrade Once again. It will fail due to the incorrect workflow mentioned above in #5.
- Now, you can go back and check that workflow, it should have the correct version appearing (due to the partial upgrade that happened in #6 above, which eventually failed)
Set this to 3.3 and Activate the workflow again.
- Now, trigger the Update to PSA v3 one more time. And this time it should go through correctly.
Please note, due to constant upgrades in the platform/PSA, there could still be some undetected issues which could result in failure. Hence, I tried to put what I experienced in general.
Post this, also ensure that all SDK Message Process Steps and related Workflows related to PSA are enabled.
In case you are also looking to find out about dependencies about failed Solution Upgrades, you can check this post too – Check Managed Solution failures in Solution History in D365 CE
Hope this helps!