I’ve come across a request where someone wanted quick access to a policy document which is commonly used by all CRM users. Documents like – a Policy Document, Terms Of Service, or absolutely a common User Guide!
Users find it tedious to remember and navigate to SharePoint to get hold of the same document frequently. So I thought, why not have a simple button to open the document in a new tab? Pretty easy. Here’s how we do it.
So, we use Ribbon Workbench to add a shortcut button to an entity’s form where if users feel they should look at the document while they’re working on the record, they can easily do so by just clicking it.
- Create a button on, say, Account entity form.
- Use URL Action in Command to enter the SharePoint link to the document.
- Ensure what type of access you want for the document. Presumed that only people within the Organization should be able to use it.
- Use Copy Link feature to get rid of the % from the direct link and use the link in the URL Action and publish changes
- Copy the link.
- And paste it in the URL Action property of the button
- Make sure you select the Command you created and add it to the button as shown below, and maybe also a nice icon too!
- Finally, Publish changes.
Accessing the Document
Now, since you have published the button, we are ready to test.
- Go to Account for and click the button.
- It will take you to the document whose link you put it in the new tab (or whatever preference you had set for opening the link).
Pretty simple use case. 😊