Approvals have been around for quite some time now in Power Automate. Let’s look at the simplest example of how we can make use of Approvals in Flow / Power Automate and then you let your imagination and creativity take over!
For the sake of simplicity, I have a custom entity called Request where users submit a Request and the Approval simply has to Approve/Reject.
The Approved/Reject status should be set in Dynamics 365 accordingly. Simple!
Power Automate for Approval
And then, my Power Automate looks like this –
- I will trigger this off the CDS connector on create of the Request record and then select Approvals in the next step.
- The Type of Approval selection is asked.
- And my Approval body is simple, just providing the basic details and whom the Approval request should go to. In this case, Kuldeep Gupta
- In the next Condition step, based on whether the Outcome is Approve or not, I’ll simply update the record’s status to either Accepted or Rejected.
- If Yes, the following will execute
- And if No, then the below
That’s it. Let’s see it in action!
- Let’s say Priyesh has created a Request record in Dynamics
- As I submit this request, an Email from Power Automate goes out to Kuldeep asking for approval. And right on the email itself, he can chose to Accept/Reject
- Let’s say the request was Accepted
- The request will be Approved.
- And in Dynamics, the status of the record will be changed to Accepted as defined in the conditions.
Hope this quick tutorial helps!