Here’s how to think about and use the Lookup function in Canvas Power Apps!
Lookup is used to fetch a single record that matches a criteria from the source (usually a table)
I have a Gallery control which is populated with Accounts data from Dataverse.
Then, I have a Textbox (Text Input) in which I’m going to pull up a field from a record from Dataverse table which matches a certain criteria.
Lookup() in Canvas App
Let’s see how we can use Lookup in a Canvas App based on the above scenario –
- Start by typing Lookup and you’ll see that it’s a valid function in the list. And the first thing in the parameter after opening the bracket is the source.
As you can see, suggestions are also seen in the list below. Here, you have the select the Table / Entity from which you want to fetch the record.
- Now, Accounts is the table which I’m looking into. Hence, I’ll select that and press comma (,). Next, I’ll be asked the condition.
Here, you need to mention what record you want to retrieve based on what criteria.
- So, I want to retrieve an Account whose “Account Name” is equal to <value>. So, below is how I write it.
In this example, I’m trying to fetch an Account record whose ‘Account Name‘ field has value “Coffee House”
- Further, once I have this condition satisfied, what field I want to retrieve so that it can be shown in the Text Input box I have inserted (for which I’m writing this Lookup)
So in this case, I want to retrieve the ‘Main Phone’ field.
- And once my formula is complete, I can end it with a closing bracket.
And as you see the result below, the Main Phone from the matching criteria Account has shown up.
And that’s how Lookup() function can be used to pick a record’s value based on a certain criteria.
Here’s Microsoft Learn Link for the same: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/power-fx/reference/function-filter-lookup#syntax?WT.mc_id=DX-MVP-5003911
Hope this helps!
Here are some Power Automate posts you want to check out –
- Select the item based on a key value using Filter Array in Power Automate
- Select values from an array using Select action in a Power Automate Flow
- Blocking Attachment Extensions in Dynamics 365 CRM
- Upgrade Dataverse for Teams Environment to Dataverse Environment
- Showing Sandbox or Non Production Apps in Power App mobile app
- Create a Power Apps Per User Plan Trial | Dataverse environment
- Install On-Premise Gateway from Power Automate or Power Apps | Power Platform
- Co-presence in Power Automate | Multiple users working on a Flow
- Search Rows (preview) Action in Dataverse connector in a Flow | Power Automate
- Suppress Workflow Header Information while sending back HTTP Response in a Flow | Power Automate
- Call a Flow from Canvas Power App and get back response | Power Platform\
- FetchXML Aggregation in a Flow using CDS (Current Environment) connector | Power Automate
- Parsing Outputs of a List Rows action using Parse JSON in a Flow | Common Data Service (CE) connector
- Asynchronous HTTP Response from a Flow | Power Automate
- Validate JSON Schema for HTTP Request trigger in a Flow and send Response | Power Automate
- Converting JSON to XML and XML to JSON in a Flow | Power Automate