Formerly, Learning Path – A complete new overhaul for guided help is Custom Help Panes in Dynamics 365
Enable Custom Help Panes
Access your System Settings for enabling this feature in your organization –
- Go to Settings > Administration > System Settings. Then switch “Enable Custom Help Panes and Guided Tasks” to Yes if already set to No.
Creating Custom Help Panes
Let’s see how you can configure these Custom Help Panes in your Dynamics 365 CE environment for different environments –
- For example, for Contact entity, if you navigate to the Question Mark option on your top navigation bar, a Custom Pane will show up. If the above System Settings is not turned on, it’ll navigate to Microsoft Docs instead.
- It’ll expand the Pane as follows. You can then click on the three vertical dots as shown and click on Edit –
- Once you Edit, you’ll open the Custom Help Pane editor on which you can start configuring the Help Pane.
You can Start Editing the Pane. You can start by entering the Title and then move down to add different Help items to the Pane.
- Now, I’ve added Title of the Page to Contact Help. You’ll see Save button at the button where you can Save the progress. Now, I’ll go to Insert and add a Section.
The first item is Insert a Section.
- Open clicking Insert Section, I can add a title to it. Now, I’ll label this section as General.
And it will appear as below.
Now, you can click inside the General section and can add rest of the items there.
- Next, I’ll insert a Link into the General section.
And I’ll complete the below Info for the Link.
It’ll appear as below –
- Next, I’ll Edit the Pane again. And select Coachmark.
And add Coachmark details as follows –
Now, you can drag to where the Coachmark should be highlighted when clicked.
Now, when you click on the generated Link, the coachmark will prompt.
- Next, let’s insert a Balloon.
Enter details on the Balloon like the Link title, actual Title as it should appear on the Balloon and the Details it should read out. Finally, drag the Balloon to the element.
And here it drag it to a relevant field.
And finally, when the link is clicked in the Pane, the Balloon will appear as below.
- Next, Let’s insert a Video.
And enter the URL of the video and set preferences accordingly.
Once Inserted, it’ll look like below.
- Now, the final Items which we will insert here is an Image.
And it’ll ask me for a Image URL which is accessible over the Internet.
And it’ll appear as below –
I’ve also added a YouTube video explaining the above steps in case anything from the above was not already clear –
Help Page record
In Dynamics 365, the Help Page record looks as follows if you do an Advanced Find –
You can even move this between environments within solutions itself. You can test this out in the new make.powerapps.com Solutions and Add an Existing Help Page as shown below –
Hope this was helpful!
Here are more Dynamics 365 CE/CRM posts you might want to check out –
- Sign up for a Dynamics 365 Project Operations (Lite Deployment) environment and provision a new instance | Power Platform
- Make Managed fields Required in Dynamics 365 – Managed Properties Error [Workaround] | D365 CE Quick Tip
- Sign up for a Dynamics 365 Project Operations (Lite Deployment) environment and provision a new instance | Power PlatformFilter records in a View owned by a Team you are a member of | Dynamics 365 CRM
- Duration field in Dynamics 365 converts Hours value to Days in Dynamics 365 | [Flow Workaround to convert in Hours and Mins]
- Show custom ribbon button based on Security Role of the logged in User in Dynamics 365 | Ribbon Workbench in XrmToolbox
- Connecting XrmToolBox to an MFA enabled Dynamics 365 environment | Azure AD
- Form Access Checker in new Power Apps Form Designer | Model-Driven Apps in Dynamics 365
- Use Rich-Text Control for Multiple Lines of Text in Dynamics 365 CE | Quick Tip
- Ribbon button visibility based on a field value in Dynamics 365 | Ribbon Workbench
- Find deprecated JS code used in your Dynamics 365 environment | Dynamics 365 v9 JS Validator tool | XrmToolBox
- Make On-Demand Flow to show up in Dynamics 365 | Power Automate
- Track and Set Regarding are disabled for Appointments in Dynamics 365 App For Outlook message | Demystified