On some instances, there are Managed fields in Dynamics 365 CRM (or CE if you want to call it) where we can’t change the required level of the field from Fields i.e. on the database level. And you get the below error –
Here’s an alternative way to do it.
Let’s consider this scenario.
- Although Microsoft suggests you don’t change the behavior of Managed fields since they are designed with a purpose. However, let’s consider this scenario where you want to make the Parent Account for Lead as required on the form.
When you try to change the Requirement Level as follows
- And while saving this change, you get this error.
So how do we do it? Let’s see.
Workaround – Business Rule
Now, to overcome this particular scenario you can implement a simple Business Rule to make it required as follows –
- If the field can’t be made Required on a database level, you can make it required on the form using Business Rule. Here’s how you create your Business Rule.
As the Business Rule starts with the condition, here’s the check you need to add in case the field value is not entered.
The condition I used is as below – Check if Parent Account for lead Does Not Contain Data
- If this is True, then go ahead and add a Step for True condition. Add Set Business Requirement Level
- And in this, you need to set the Business Required Status to Business Required as show below.
- And the result is the Business Rule which looks like in #1 above. Now, save your changes, Publish the Rule, Activate and check.
- The result will be that the field is not required once it doesn’t have data forcing the user to enter data for the same.
Hope this was helpful! Here are some more D365 posts which you might be interested in –
- Filter records in a View owned by a Team you are a member of | Dynamics 365 CRM
- Get GUID of the current View in Dynamics 365 CRM JS from ribbon button | Ribbon Workbench
- Dynamics 365 App For Outlook missing on SiteMap in CRM? Use shortcut link [Quick Tip]
- Import lookup referencing records together in Dynamics 365 CRM | [Linking related entity data during Excel Import]
- Mailbox Alerts Hide/Show behavior in Dynamics 365 CRM
- Excel Importing Notes (Annotation) entity in Dynamics 365 CRM
- Enable/Disable the need to Approve Email for Mailboxes in Dynamics 365 CRM CE
- Call Azure Function from Dynamics 365 CRM using Webhooks
- Show Ribbon button only on record selection in Dynamics CRM
- Accessing multiple occurrences of a field in Business Process Flow using JS in D365 CRM