Often, it’s a dilemma for partners when Microsoft support asks for access to the environment or making a “copy of the affected environment” in order to review an issue at hand. This is a super-helpful feature where we get to see what is being accessed in order to review data.
Microsoft Docs Link to Customer Lockbox (preview) – https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/admin/about-lockbox?WT.mc_id=DX-MVP-5003911
Please note that this is a preview feature and not meant for Production use. Currently, this also doesn’t cost anything and a cost will be associated once this is out of preview. Read the above Microsoft Doc to learn further.
Let’s look at the summary of this feature –
What is this feature?
- If you raise a Microsoft Support Ticket or Microsoft identifies an issue with your environment and needs to take a look at data, this feature comes handy in providing controlled access to data.
- If any issues need Production data to be investigated which could be business-sensitive, you can provide controlled access to Microsoft Support and also review/Audit such an access.
I’ll update further on –
- Whether review requests can be raised by partners who don’t have production access but have access to Sandboxes only based on Security Group practices some organizations generally follow. Or is only Microsoft can initiate a request?
Here’s a post I put up in Power Platform Forum for the same – https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Apps-Governance-and/Customer-Lockbox-for-partners-same-tenant-access/m-p/1685530#M6849
- What is costs since in preview (at the time of this post), this is free-of-cost but will be chargeable once out of Preview.
- Once I create an actual Support Ticket with Microsoft and if they request access to Production data, I’ll configure a Lockbox scenario and update this blog further.
Customer Lockbox settings in PPAC
In Power Platform Admin Center [PPAC] (https://admin.powerplatform.microsoft.com/) –
- Look for Customer Lockbox (preview) under Policies section as shown below.
- Once you are in Customer Lockbox, you’ll see a button to start Configuring Customer Lockbox. While in preview, this is free – Later, it will be chargeable.
- Once this turns on in a few moments, you can see the message come up explaining how the Customer Lockbox will be enabled in 24 hours.
The message reads – “For the duration for the preview, enabling Customer Lockbox will apply to all environments in the tenant. This capability is available in preview at no cost. When this feature becomes generally available, there will be a cost associated with environments protected by Customer Lockbox.“
- Post this, you can turn the switch On and Save the settings. It’ll take 24 hours to take effect.
Hope this was helpful! Here are some more Dynamics 365 posts which you might be interested in –
- Dynamics 365 Storage Utilization | Dataverse Storage | Power Platform Admin Center
- Use Hierarchy in Roll Up Fields in Dynamics 365 CRM
- Filter records in a View owned by a Team you are a member of | Dynamics 365 CRM
- Get GUID of the current View in Dynamics 365 CRM JS from ribbon button | Ribbon Workbench
- Dynamics 365 App For Outlook missing on SiteMap in CRM? Use shortcut link [Quick Tip]
- Import lookup referencing records together in Dynamics 365 CRM | [Linking related entity data during Excel Import]
- Mailbox Alerts Hide/Show behavior in Dynamics 365 CRM
- Excel Importing Notes (Annotation) entity in Dynamics 365 CRM
- Enable/Disable the need to Approve Email for Mailboxes in Dynamics 365 CRM CE
- Call Azure Function from Dynamics 365 CRM using Webhooks
- Show Ribbon button only on record selection in Dynamics CRM
- Accessing multiple occurrences of a field in Business Process Flow using JS in D365 CRM